AEROTUNNEL is a wind tunnel facility, located in Gorizia – Friuli Venezia Giulia – Italy; it is a vertical closed-circuit wind tunnel, with two test sections.
Upper TS is 2,4×2,4 m wide and 6 m long with max speed 150 km/h
Lower TS is 7,0×2,4 m wide and 10 m long with max speed 50 km/h.
AEROTUNNEL is equipped with sensors, such as hot wire anemometers, pressure probes and pitot tubes to measure the air speed in different places at the same time.
Both TS are equipped with six in-house designed and manufactured DOF force sensors, based on in-house also designed and manufactured force transducers.
A smoke generator is also available, as well as a Bruel & Kjiear Phonometer for noise measurements.
- The upper testing section is dedicated to higher speed tests in real scale sports, like skiing, cycling, motorcycling, up to model testing in aeronautical or other industrial sectors.
- The upper scale can be equipped with a support mast capable of modifying the pitch and yaw angles and allow the measurement of aerodynamic coefficients of an aircraft model or part of it.
- The upper section is equipped with a TV studio with three Ultra HD (4k) TV cameras on the three axis x, y, z and a state-of-the art video console to show and record the tests.
- The lower testing section is dedicated to low speed tests on auto vehicles, ship models, buildings.
- The lower section scale has a built-in 360° rotation capability that allows to expose the test model to different yaw angle.
- The lower testing section is the Italy’s largest Atmospheric Boundary Layer wind tunnel.
AEROTUNNEL is equipped with various data acquisition systems in order to collect and record data acquired by its measuring devices.
Data acquisition during a test is managed by in-house developed programs, which configure the instruments, start acquisitions, show results in real time and store the data.